Friday, October 19, 2012

If My Head Wasn't Attached...


Before kids, I had it all together.  I could recall facts and remember important things to do (and do them in a timely manner).  I was extremely organized in both my closets and my daily happenings.  I actually finished tasks without starting and stopping them repeatedly.  Basically, I didn't feel like the total scatterbrain that I feel I have become since welcoming my darling child into this world three-and-a-half years ago.  Now, a normal day around here consists of me losing my keys at least three times (sometimes I find them in hand when I'm looking for them), racing around the house trying to get myself and my son out the door, not being able to complete a sentence when I'm on the phone with friends, and settling for clothes that have a little stain on them (but should anyone ask, I'm prepared to say I spilled something on myself in the car).  Once, I even washed my face with my glasses on.  I wish I were kidding!  

So why is this worthy of writing about?  Because I CANNOT be the only one who feels this way after becoming a parent.  I’m begging you, someone, anyone...come out of hiding!  Pardon the political reference, but please help me feel more like the 99% and not the 1%.  

As a frazzled, always-feeling-behind-the-eight-ball, stay-at-home mom, how on Earth does my house not burn to the ground?  It’s simple.  When my little boy was born, my priorities shifted.  Although I love having a clean house, plopping on the couch after a long day trumps scrubbed floors any day.  As for recalling facts and remembering important things to do, well, recalling the lyrics to “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” ranks much higher than recalling my “To Do” list.  In 2027 when Reese is eighteen, I’ll resume having a tidy house, wear clean clothes, and have complete conversations with friends.  Until then, it’s business as usual…wait, where are my keys?

8 comments:

  1. I haven't been a Mom as long as you have, but I can definitely tell you that everything has gone to sh*t in the last 17 months. Things I used to worry about (a clean house, organized shelves, clean car) have all been thrown out the window, thanks to a little tornado I named Callie. You are NOT the only one. Even the dog is a mess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to burst that 18 bubble ... they're killing me now, too! Just last week I got the 3:30 AM call from Raleigh from the 21 year old with a fever and migraine! I can't remember ANYTHING the day after a sleepless night! I keep telling Mary Beth she'll be the death of me, and she says, "Don't say that Mom; what if you're right?"

    Seriously, though, your type-A organized mind has shifted over to raising that wonderful little man and enjoying every minute of your family. You WILL remember all the memories you are making! Just this week we gave our favorite Sandra Boynton book, The Going to Bed Book, to some friends as a baby gift, and David and I BOTH still had it memorized! I can't find the passcode to the wireless, though! So, you're not alone.

    I think you're an amazing WOMAN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie...thank you for making me feel less alone! I think you are a great mom and Callie is one lucky little "tornado". Thanks for commenting. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy...thank you so much for your comments! So 18 isn't going to be it, eh? :) Poor Andrew. I can only imagine that talking to his momma, even at 21, made him feel better. And I cannot even begin to believe Mary Beth is going to be the death of you! That girl is awesome!

    I can relate with The Going to Bed Book. We still can recite There's a Wocket in My Pocket, which was Reese's favorite book as a baby. We don't even have to read the pages to him any more. I have a feeling I will remember the words in 15 years.

    Thanks so much, Amy!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel I am not a Mom and I still have a lot of these issues...not because my priorities changed, but (I fear) because I'm getting old. LOL...I can one up you on the washing your face with your glasses on. I once washed my face with my contacts still in (yup rubbed the eye makeup into them.) The only reason I noticed was when I put my glasses on (thinking my contacts were out) and wondered why everything was so blurry......you are so not alone my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adrienne,

      Well I'm glad it's happening to everyone then! Ha! How do our brains get THAT tired???!!! Hope you are doing well and staying warm!

      Rachel

      Delete
  6. Hi Rachel.

    I forgot the kids had a doctor's appointment tonight (I fully remembered in the morning), so Anne said I had to read your blog.

    Also, I have a robotic vacuum and floor mop. I am in love with them. Gives me hours back in my day and they entertain the kids too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,

      That is too funny! I look at my written calendar every morning, and it's not uncommon for me to forget something that is happening later in the day. Why do our brains do this to us?! A robotic vacuum? I need to check into that! Hope you are well!

      Rachel

      Delete